From tropical beach paradise to lush mysterious rain forests, Costa Rica's vast natural resources, sustainable practices, and conscientious people inspire us at Pura Vida Body to share and promote healthy harmonious living between our bodies and our planet.
At Pura Vida Body, we hope to share a few of Costa Rica's many wonderful practices and resources with you, to not only make you feel great through the organic, natural, sustainable ingredients in our scrub, but to also introduce you to Pura Vida, and the benefits of the "Pure Life."
Our source for the organic coffee, organic coconut oil, organic brown sugar, and sea salt in our scrubs, Costa Rica is a role model in environmentalism, sustainability, and healthy living.
Discover a few more reasons to love Costa Rica, and embrace the Pura Vida lifestyle:
The New Economics Foundation ranks countries on three factors to decide which one is the happiest: Experienced Well-being, Life Expectancy, and Ecological Footprint. Costa Rica has been ranked #1 repeatedly.
ONE of FIVE Hotspots on the Planet Considered a "Blue Zone"
A Blue Zone is an area where people live measurably longer lives. Read about the Nicoya Peninsula and Blue Zones on CNN.
Promote Green Policies and Embrace Organic Fair Trade
Costa Rica is leading the charge in sustainable living. The United Nations Environment Program created a report called Costa Rica: A Leader is Sustainable Practice and Policy, noting:
"Throughout the world, Costa Rica is known as a leader in placing natural capital at the center of development. The country has recently been voted the "greenest and happiest" nation in the world by the independent organization New Economics Foundation, and it’s the only country considered a "BioGem" by the Natural Resource Council."
On top of that, 91% of Costa Rica's energy comes from renewable sources, and the United Nations Framework Foundation on Climate Change reported that around 25% of the country's land area is in protected national parks and protected areas (compared to 13% for most developing nations and 8% for developed nations).
Costa Rica has 7 World Renowned Regions Producing Excellent Coffee
- Tarrazu: Coffee produced on the fertile volcanic hillsides of Tarrazu are considered superior, "full-bodied with more aromatic complexity."Tarrazu's coffee plantations produce over half of the country's coffee. La Minita is perhaps the most sought after coffee in all of Costa Rica. It comes from Hacienda La Minita in the mountainous Tarrazu region.
- Tres Riós ("Three Rivers") region of Costa Rica is known as the Bordeaux of Costa Rica. Vibrant coffees from this high-altitude region are described as "well balanced and sweetly smooth." Situated just east of San Jose, in the Costa Rican interior near the Irazu Volcano, this region has a very specific microclimate and its coffee reflects that uniqueness.
- Meseta Central (Central Valley) is a high-altitude growing region that includes San Jose, Heredia, and Alajuela. Celebrated for a special chocolaty flavor, coffee from the Central Valley continues to be extremely popular with international buyers.
- Valle Occidental (Western Valley) coffee beans are acclaimed for their unmistakable peach and apricot flavor. The high-altitude coffee from this region has excellent acidity and good aroma.
- Brunca is located in southern Costa Rica. Although Brunca is a mid-altitude region, its beans are recognized for their thickness and exceptional acidity. Good body and aroma also characterize the coffee.
- Orosi is another middle-altitude coffee-growing region. It is renowned for its fertile soil and exceptional climate, and the coffee is of superb quality. Beans from Orosi have a long, uniform shape.
- Turrialba is the lowest-altitude growing region in Costa Rica. Beans from Turrialba are good-sized but have lower acidity. The coffee may have less body but it is praised for good aroma.
For more Costa Rican inspired stories, DIY tips, and all things organic, head over to Natural Beauty. Pura Vida!
We are always open to questions, comments, and thoughts - feel free to drop us a line anytime @ firstname.lastname@example.org